Latest Obsession

 Recently I had a sudden urge to update my keyring situation - a random impulse I justified with the notion that the set to my new home deserved something pretty and shiny. A colourful bead vibe, perhaps, or something pearly to match my phone charm.

In My Lady's Chamber
Frederick Bentz  (1853-1936)
Photo Credit: Russell-Cotes Art Museum & Gallery [CC BY-NC-ND]


Now, after some deep self-reflection and significant time browsing £20 iterations (stringtin.com), I realise I have just fallen victim to luxury fashion's latest obsession. Am I silly to want a silly-cessory?

You tell me. But take a look at your collection before you answer. Are you wearing a friendship bracelet or two; Is your phone, like mine decorated with with some gingham ribbon or a charm?

Do you wear lurid-hued Crocs strewn with the pop-on stickers known as - oh how I hate this word - Jibbitz;  has your laptop got stickers on? If the answer to even one of these is yes then you too are a silly-cessory billy. Or a silly-cessory goose. Take your pick...

The latest incarnation of the movement comes in the form of bagscots: designer charms intended to be layered up messily on the zip and handle of your handbag. And when I say handbag, I mean It bag. Balenciaga's Le City tote is £2,050 and Le Charms leather top handle style which go with it - think keyrings, heart mirrors, cursive text, tiny purses start at £275 apiece...

Miu Miu ... launched its Beau bag last year... The £2,650 sleek, rectangular leather top handle style looks elegant and ladylike...

(Hannah Rogers, The Times, 2024)


You had a sudden urge to update your keyring situation. -  I can honestly say I haven't ever  given any thought to my "keyring situation".

"Something pearly to match my phone charm." - You've lost me completely now.

"Am I silly to want a silly-cessory?" - Do you really want an answer?

"But take a look at your collection before you answer." - I've been searching for my collection but it's nowhere to be found. 

"Are you wearing a friendship bracelet or two;" - No. Does that mean I don't have any friends?

"Is your phone, like mine decorated with with some gingham ribbon or a charm?" - I'll go out tomorrow and buy both.

Crocs strewn with pop-on stickers known as ...- Jibbitz - I'm lost again.

"Has your laptop got stickers on?" - Why can't I say yes for once?

"And when I say handbag, I mean It bag" - Sorry? It bag?



Comments