Letters about Taylor Swift, King Charles

 I would like to assure Chris Wiegand that it is perfectly possible to steer clear of Taylor Swift. I have never heard her sing, cannot name a single song of hers and, if I bumped into her in the street, I certainly wouldn't recognise her. I apologise to Miss Swift if this precipitates a decline in self-esteem. I no longer laugh at the 1960s quip about the learned judge who enquired: "Who are the Beatles?"

(Ian Abernethy, Heiton, Scottish Borders, The Guardian, 2024)

A Singer with a Donkey
Giuseppe Maria Crespi (1665- 1747)
Photo Credit: Manchester Art Gallery [CC BY-NC-ND]


*As with Elizabeth Baker, I too am concerned by the absence of swifts this year. Sadly this lack is not remedied by the arrival of a larger one.

(Tony Fisher, Gotham, Nottinghamshire, The Guardian, 2024)


While it may be too much to expect the Guardian not to mention the three Ss (Starmer, Sunak and Swift) during the next four weeks, can you impose a moratorium on the photos that assault our sensibilities on a daily basis, of the party leaders visiting infant schools, doughnut factories, care homes and hospitals, and of the ubiquitous young lady prancing about in what looks like underwear?

(Roger Newman Turner, Weymouth, Dorset, The Guardian, 2024)


I don't know much about Taylor Swift, but I know Trump is frightened of  her. That's enough for me to be an admirer.

(Tony Green, Ipswich, Suffolk, The Guardian, 2024)


I live near Murrayfield stadium, so I am fairly used to fans of of both rugby and various performers swamping the area. Taylor Swift's supporters were easily the nicest, best-behaved and most amiable we have ever seen.

No one urinating in our gardens. No one drunk, far less disorderly. Everyone just having a really nice time. My only complaint concerns the moulting boas, on sale from all vendors, whose floating feathers are very difficult to remove from the sweet peas. Don't know about her singing, but her her fans are fabulous.

(Joan Burnie, Edinburgh, The Guardian, 2024)


I usually find that BBC Radio 3 allows a Swift avoidance of her output; a place very Taylored to my musical needs.

(Julia Edwards, Winchester, The Guardian, 2024)


As an elderly second-wave feminist (OK, I'm not sure my daughter's forgiven me for the boiler suits and kaftans), I'm asking why do these very talented poets and musicians feel obliged to leap about in glittery swimsuits and the occasional pair of thigh-high boots?

(Cat Bracey, The Guardian, 2024)


Cat Bracey asks why Taylor Swift and other very talented poets and musicians feel obliged to leap about in glittery swimsuits and the occasional pair of thigh-high boots. Because it's fun.

(Anna Greenwood, London, The Guardian, 2024)


I'm puzzled by Clive Sykes's letter wondering how King Charles achieved his chestful of medals. Surely everyone knows he got them the old-fashioned way: his mummy gave them to him.

(Judith Flanders, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, The Guardian, 2024)

Comments