Send in the Clowns, Dick Turpin

 

Feast of Fools
Frans Floris the Elder (c.1517-1570)
Photo Credit: Shakespeare Birthplace Trust [CC BY-NC-ND]

Isn't it rich? Aren't we a pair?

Me here at last on the ground

You in mid air.

Send in the clowns.

 

Isn't it bliss. Don't you approve?

One who keeps tearing around

One who can't move.

But where are the clowns?

Send in the clowns. 


Just when I'd stopped opening doors

Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours.

Making my entrance again with my usual flair.

Sure of my lines, no one was there.


Don't you love farce? My fault I fear.

I thought that you'd want what I want. Sorry my dear.

But where are the clowns, quick send in the clowns

Don't bother they're here, oh oh oh.


Isn't it rich? Isn't it queer?

Loosing my timing, this late in my career.

And where are the clowns? There ought to be clowns.

Well, maybe next year.

Well, maybe next year.

Well, maybe next year.

(Stephen Sondheim) 


Anthem of two females (married to two footballers) and all their followers. According to Tom, (See below) the court case "captivated the entire nation." Tosh, froth and drivel! 

"The #WagathaChristie phenomenon has become one of the most talked-about moments in the history of social media. The court case that followed has captivated the entire nation but very few people actually got to see what happened inside the courtroom." (Tom Popay, creative director at Chalkboard.)

(Vanessa Thorpe, The Observer, 2022)


Dick Turpin


A Tory MP has said calls to change the name of a Dick Turpin ride are " the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard of in my life".

A row erupted after a Dick Turpin carriage ride, which tells the story of the highwayman's exploits, opened at York dungeon  - and parents complained that the name was offensive.

The attraction, owned by the leisure giant Merlin said it had received "a number of requests for the character to be renamed to Richard due to the apparent rude nature of his nickname".

Bosses said they were stunned by the "snowflake" complaints and insisted: "Dick is here to stay."

Philip Davies, who represents Shipley, said: "Thank God the museum are saying they are not changing it. Let us hope this is the start of the fight back for common sense."..

Howard Johnson, a co-owner of rival attraction Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum, said: "A vote for common sense. Ignore these woke idiots."

(The Times, 2022)


*Sir, I could scarcely believe there was a campaign to rename a Dick Turpin ride. Perhaps similar names should be changed? Richard Whittington; Moby Richard; Clever Richard; Tom, Richard and Harry come to mind. A weak heart could be "Richardy". I'm not sure what could be done about dickybirds.

(Ian Pearce, Great Ayton, N Yorks, The Times, 2022)

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments