Phoebe Hills, Influencer Nonsense, Radio 4


                                                     People
Phoebe Hills, 20, is a philosophy student at the University of York.

5 AM, 
Ernest Procter (1886-1935) 
Photo Credit: Jerwood Collection [CC BY] 

“Considering that I’m a student, a group who famously have no money, I sure do a damn good job of spending it. The loan comes in at the beginning of term and it’s like a generous gift rather than real money that I will start paying back in a year’s time.

I wish I could say that I’m part of my generation’s wellbeing craze and that my money goes towards Grace Fit UK gym wear and fancy bottles to hold my lemon water (as all Gen Z-ers know, it’s a brand run by the British Instagram star Grace Beverley). Unfortunately, it goes on booze and clubbing, leaving a hefty dent in my bank account that I’m in no fit state to confront the next morning.

In fact, when I occasionally stalk Grace and other influencers’ Instagram accounts for some light amusement, I pity their millions of followers. Poor suckers who believe that Grace’s “booty” looks that good because of her £14 resistance bands, rather than genetics and a super-strict diet plan.”

(The Times, 2019)

               A part unbeliever?  Well done Kate.


Influencers and Fashion

Organic Patterns,
Madge Gill (1882-1961)
Photo Credit: London Borough of Newham [CC BY]
Every season we’re told that such and such a thing is THE item of clothing we’re all going to want. In the past few years it’s been pink coats, wrap skirts and platform brogues, all of which I hated equally.

This season’s must-have is no exception: Topshop’s Austin Floral Print Angel Sleeve midi-dress, yours for £39, if only you could buy it, which you can’t, because it’s sold out. An Instagram influencer has decreed that it’s a gorgeous summer dress, an opinion I will file carefully under “ignore”, along with that of every other influencer.

(Hilary Rose, The Times, 2020)

                     Good on you Hilary.

BBC

A Winter's Night Tale
Daniel Maclise (1806-1870)
Photo Credit: Manchester Art Gallery [CC BY-NC-ND]
…Radio 4 is the soundtrack to my day. Well, mostly – I migrate to Radio 2, with its brilliant roster of women presenters, if the news is too grim, or if Woman’s Hour is, in its tin-eared and patronising way, trying to be relevant to the sort of young women who literally don’t know what Women’s Hour is and will never listen to it.

…The minority of young people who like Radio 4 already listen to it. The young people who are future listeners will find their way to it eventually, because that’s how it works: you listen to what you find interesting, and that changes with age. It seems tragic to have to point this out. Also: what draws people in is the intelligent and eclectic nature of the programming. The broadcasts I was most resistant to in the past are now among my favourites: Melvyn Bragg discussing Gerard Manley Hopkins or papal infallibility: or Jim AL-Khalili somehow making laser physics vaguely comprehensible. 

Radio 4 works because you discover things by happy accident. It’s where ideas and culture intersect. It is a massive educational resource. Seeking to change any of that is a pointless act of cultural vandalism.

(India Knight, The Sunday Times, 2019)

A Point of View on a Sunday can be interesting as can Desert Island Discs. Just a Minute and Sorry I Haven’t a Clue remain favourites.

Comments