Food and Lifestyle


                                              Food and Lifestyle

Not Guilty (The Acquittal) Abraham Solomon (1824-1862) Photo Credit: Tate [CC BY-NC-ND]

“In 2019 it is possible to construct entire lifestyles – entire identities – around the stuff we eat. You might think: “That’s not me! I don’t do that!” But the truth is that, to one degree or another, you probably do. Everyone does. From part-time vegans to kimchi fetishists to politicians who think that a trip to Nando’s is their “Ich bin ein Berliner” moment, we’re all guilty. The question is how guilty? What are the hot culinary talking points of 2019 and what do they say about you? Let’s find out.”
Performative Nando’s appreciation.

I’ve never been to Nando’s.
I rarely eat red meat these days’ men.

I eat red meat at least three days a week.
Meghan’s hand-crafted, gluten free Laduree macaron pyramids.

First time I’ve heard of them.
Two-day vegan cleanses.

What do you think?
Digital detox dining?

I eat without the mobile.
Match Mania: (Powdered Japanese Green Tea)

              I haven’t drunk any tea for years.

Food Halls:

I do use supermarkets but that’s not what you mean, is it?
Beckham Sunday Lunch:

Victoria Beckham doesn’t eat, does she? I don’t know about her husband. Isn’t he the one who desperately wants a knighthood?
Home delivery culture:

Haven’t tried it.
Crossushi:

Never heard of it.
Bulletproof coffee:

Putting butter in your coffee. You must be joking.
Fermented food:

Sexy pickling, apparently. Does Branston count?
The aubergine emoji:

I loathe aubergines.
Mindful baking:

Making bread? No chance.
Twee blackboard signs outside bars and cafes.

I don’t live in London.

Comments